Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Children's Perspective

I, Laura Sims, was James and Nathan's age (14 years old) when my parents first mentioned adopting, which is so weird to think how long ago that was!  Now as an 18 year old headed to college, so many things have changed in my life but I am still thrilled to have new baby sister!  I was able to sit down and talk to each of my brothers one on one throughout this week and get their feelings about the adoption in order to capture all our thoughts in one post.  I talked to my brothers interview style so... I'll just introduce all these amazing guys and then tell you what they said to me.  Nathan and James are about to go into the 8th grade and very smart kids but very different.  Nathan is witty and clever, always making us laugh.  James is creative and intuitive, always noticing the details and coming up with a solution.  David is about to turn 17 and be a Senior in high school.  He's grounded in his faith, can remember anything he hears, and is incredibly caring.  It was such a joy to be able to talk to them about Kirby...

1. When our parents first mentioned adopting a little girl from China what was your initial reaction?


Nathan- I thought it would be pretty cool and interesting.  I also realized there would be lots of big changes in my life.
James- I was happy and excited to be getting a new sister from China!
David- It took a while for it to hit me, but once it did I was really excited and also glad we had the opportunity to bless a life like God has blessed our lives.
Me (Laura Sims)- I was surprised but thrilled at the idea.  Since I was little I had wanted a sister and did everything from writing Santa countless letters to praying every night that God would give me a sister. Needless to say, I was extremely excited to finally have a sister and answer to prayer.

2.  What has been your prayer for Kirby over these past years?

Nathan- Safety.
James- Safety and for her to come home soon.
David- Somehow for her to know we love her.
Me (Laura Sims)- For God's protection over her while she is not with us and for her to never feel cold, hungry, or alone.

3. What is something you want to teach Kirby as your little sister?

Nathan- To grow up to be a leader and strong in her faith.
James- To be a leader and how to drive a car.
David- As a family we want to teacher her to follow Christ in all she does.  Personally and as a swimmer, I can't wait to teach her to swim.
Laura Sims- I can't wait to teach her how to live strong for Christ! As a sister, I look forward to teaching her how to shop and wear makeup, but also how to get through middle school, make friends, come out of her shell, and always be who God created her to be.


4. How is Kirby coming home going to change our family?

Nathan- We'll have more leadership and responsibility roles.
James- It will make us happier and I'll have more responsibilities.
David- She has already changed me because I've seen an example in Mom and Dad of how to live for God and follow what He says.  She will continue to change us in the obvious areas of having a baby in the house, but also, she is picture of how God has adopted us into his family.
Laura Sims- Kirby will bless us with her unique personality, individuality, and in ways I can't even conceive yet. Also she is a reminder for me to listen to God's call on our lives.  My parents were faithful and obedient and because of it, a precious little girl is going to enter my life. I am constantly reminded to live with such faith, go where God sends me, and do what He asks of me. He is an amazing God with  an amazing plan that I can't even imagine, just like I couldn't even image Kirby 6 years ago but she is really coming home in only a short time! God is always faithful!
                   

No comments: